The TC Williams Band Program offers students the chance to have fun while developing musicianship, character, autonomy and discipline. This program demands time and commitment from students, as well from their parents and guardians. We believe our students exemplify how young people can present themselves to the world. Our students are frequently complemented on their skills and comportment when we travel to competitions and performances. TCW Band students develop accountability and work hard to meet the demands of all their courses and extra-curricular activities outside the band room.
Opportunities for students
TCW offers a variety of performing ensembles, including Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble and Jazz Band. Students perform in numerous concerts throughout the year, take part in Band Assessment in March, and travel on the Spring Trip.
The TCW Band offers students the chance to travel and enhance their performance chops on the annual Spring Trip. Members travel as a group to perform, compete, and attend clinics at various locales throughout the country. Recent trips include Orlando, Myrtle Beach, and New Orleans.
Band students also have opportunities to audition individually for All-District and All-State Band and Solo and Ensemble Festival. From mid-August through the first week of November, most band members participate in the Marching Band. Marchers rehearse after school and participate in regional competitions; perform at half-time shows at home football games; play stand tunes during away games; march in the Zombie Band at the Annual Del Ray Halloween Parade; and perform at the end-of-season Marching Band Assessment. Other performance opportunities arise throughout the year and students can elect to participate.
opportunities for parents
One of the most important things that we as parents and guardians realize is how hard our students work to achieve their goals. The TCW Band Program is among the best in our region: our success is only possible because of the hard work and dedication of our directors, students, and parents. As a parent of a band student, you are also a Band Booster Parent.
It takes a village to fund and support a music program. We as boosters parents work to supplement the funds from ACPS to support to the TCW Band Program. For this reason, fees are associated with certain ensembles. To augment our budget, we also conduct fundraising events throughout the year. Our biggest fundraisers are Tag Day and the Band Car Wash. We need parents to conduct these fundraising events, provide support at competitions, as well chaperone trips. Our responsibility as parents and Band Boosters is to support our students at home and, whenever possible, volunteer our time and talents. Please visit the Volunteer Opportunities page to see how you can help.
- Join CHARMS
- Keep all dates on your calendar | Practices, football games, competitions and anything else involving you, your child and marching band. Your very enjoyable busy season will be from September - November.
- Bookmark the website tcwilliamsband.com | Check webpage and your email frequently during band season to find all the latest info, last minute changes and fun activities going on.
- Plan to prepare lots of quick and easy snacks/meals for before and after practices.
- Maintain a stocked car trunk | You will need blankets, umbrellas, seat cushions, extra sweatshirts, hats, gloves. Evening competitions and late season football games can get chilly!
- Talk to your Booster Committee | Communicate your questions or concerns. If they can’t help you or find the answer for you, they’ll direct you to who can.
- Become involved with the band in any way you can | It’s your opportunity to stay connected to your budding young adult and make new friends. Volunteering isn’t work – it’s FUN when you do it with your friends. To find out how you can share your talents and help, click here.